Ort Castle nearly burns down to the ground in 1634. Afterwards the building is reconstructed at great cost and takes on its current appearance. A small chapel is created in the process.
The first mass is probably held in the chapel in around 1750, it is not until 1784 that Emperor Joseph II decrees Ort an independent parish. Since then the castle’s chapel has also been the parish church. Its patron saint is Saint James, one of the first four Apostles.