The Arnulf Rainer Museum unites an architectural jewel with the work of the internationally acclaimed contemporary artist.
The clearly delineated structure of the building of the Frauenbad from 1821 – which is located on the site of the former Frauenkriche – is based on a design by Charles de Moreau, one of the leading architects of French classicism. After bathing stopped at the site in 1973 the building changed use, to become a national exhibition centre. The opening exhibition in autumn 1977 was an Arnulf Rainer retrospective.
In 2006 the decision was made to dedicate the exhibition centre as a museum to Arnulf Rainer, who was born in Baden. The Arnulf Rainer Museum, outfitted to the highest technological and aesthetic standards, was opened in 2009.
Photo: Arnulf Rainer Museum © Kollektiv Fischka