The rulers of the territory had a monopoly over the registered salt trade. Salt was transported in barrels on the Danube to the official salt warehouses, from where
it was distributed to the sales points. The capacity of this salt warehouse was 5,000 hundredweight or about 250 tonnes in 1752. Storage was located at the rear of
the building while the ‘salt prefect’ resided in the front rooms. When the monopoly was abolished in 1824, the government salt offices were sold.