With the arrival of the western railway, it became more important to cross the Danube. A cable ferry was first run in 1897. To supplement it, a pontoon bridge was
build to span the Danube arm at Melk. After being destroyed several times by flooding, it was replaced with a lifting bridge in 1937. In four hours’ work, 16
strong men could lift the 123-tonne bridge by three metres, where it was safe from flooding. The bridge was electrified in 1952 and is still in operation today.