Originally a tower forming part of Melk’s fortifications, it was converted into a dwelling offering a splendid view. After WWI, well-known academic painter Walter
Prinzl (1891–1937) acquired the run-down house and used it as his studio. Initially a graphic artist, Prinzl later turned to painting. He painted motifs from the
Wachau region as well as from Italy, Prague and towns in the Alps.