Between May 1 and mid-October from 1858 on, men and women could take baths (separately) in the warm tubs of the cabins or swim in the adjacent pools on the
decks of the two ships. A flood in 1899 destroyed the bathing facilities. At the same location, the barracks had a swimming school for recruits built in 1914. A boat for washing laundry was moored on the shore somewhat farther downstream between 1876 and 1910.