The building, whose foundations go back to the 16th century, features a massive Baroque gate that was originally designed by Joseph Emanuel Fischer von
Erlach in 1730 to newly adorn the Althan-Pignatelli town palace in Vienna. In the mid-19th century it was then dismantled and transported to Melk. The gate,
heavily ornamented with carvings, still has the original hardware. A small ‘spy’ window is found beside the gate.