Covering about two acres, the Melk city park is typical of many small public parks from the period before 1900. It was designed based on the St Pölten city park and first opened in May 1886. Paths forming a cross and lining the periphery divide the park into four sections with a central area. Original features included a pavilion,
a fountain and a weather station. A monument was dedicated to Franz X. Linde, the park’s initiator in 1904.