Building of the Empress Elisabeth Railway began in 1855. Like all stations along the western railway, the terminal at Melk was built in the ‘Moorish’ style. The first locomotive arrived at Melk on 13 October 1858, and regular train service between Vienna and Linz began three days later. Signalling the onset of the Gründerzeit
period, the railway heavily influenced economic development and urban building activity.