• select language
  • 13 - Office of Weights and Measures
    zoom in zoom out
    back

    The red thread - Melk

    font + font -

    Viennese architects Siegfried Theiss (1882–1963) and Hans Jaksch (1879–1970) designed several prominent buildings in Melk between 1907 and 1913. The ‘Office of Weights and Measures’ (Eichamt), erected in traditional style between 1908 and 1909, has remained virtually unaltered to this day. Between 1910 and 1913 the two architects also built the Pioneer’s Barracks (Pionier-Kaserne) as a set of pavilions, thereby placing an urban building on an adjacent hill to contrast with the towering Abbey.

    Fields marked with * are required.