• select language
  • 12 - Old Forester's House
    zoom in zoom out
    back

    The red thread - Melk

    font + font -

    The Burgher Tower (Bürgerturm) is one part of the building. It guarded one door and the opening for a stream passing through the walls of the market town,
    and was also used as a prison and the bailiff’s residence. The normal punishment for minor offences was several days of arrest with bread and water for sustinence. Those sentenced to death by the county court also awaited execution here. After the prison was abolished in 1848, the house served as the residence of the Abbey’s forester.

    Fields marked with * are required.