• select language
  • 06 - Old Bread Shop
    zoom in zoom out
    back

    The red thread - Melk

    font + font -

    The Old Bread Shop, roofed with wooden shingles, and its two turrets date back to the 16th century. Here Melk’s three bakers sold their bread in one location. In old age, one of the bakers (or a widow) was allowed to live here and share in the income from bread sales. Melk’s oldest guilds included the bakers (1277), the butchers (1281), the weavers (1340), the tailors (1433), and the bladesmiths and cutlers (1459).

    Fields marked with * are required.