The inn, which existed as early as the 15th century, takes its name from Sterngasse. It was later purchased as a tavern by the Abbey, which sold its own wine here.
The Abbey architect Munggenast fully remodelled the building in 1736, while retaining the 16th-century vaulted ceiling on the ground floor. Private owners
later took over the building, and since 1838 a licence for serving alcohol has been attached to the inn.